This isn’t so much a recap of Strange Angel Season 2 Episode 6 “The Tower,” as it is a brief summary, with a focus on how the episode deals with Ernest’s death.
Oh, Ernest…the episode begins with the ruins of Ernest’s explosion. The scene is full of gray, and the congregants are all in shock. Of course they are taken back to the police precinct where they are interrogated about Ernest’s actions.
Detective Minsky: “What would you say was Mr. Donovan’s state of mind in night of question?”
Patty: “I mean the guy had a screw loose. Wasn’t anyone’s fault but his own.”
Detective Minsky: “In your opinion, why did Mr. Donovan commit suicide.”
Betty: “This wasn’t a suicide. Frater E.D. ascended. His body of light has become one with the universe.”
But according to Alfred, this was no ascension.
Alfred: “This was the demise of a broken man led down the wrong path.”
What’s Jack’s spin on things?
Jack: “Ernest wanted to die. I was the only one that tried to stop him. Let’s just say the Magus prioritizes the needs of some people over others. And unfortunately, Ernest slipped through the cracks.”
Ernest’s bloody mugshot is pinned to a cork board, along with pictures of what appear to be bones. The Coroner’s report indicates the bones found are from the goat, not Ernest.
Detective: “We don’t have a body?”
We learn Ernest used over 200 gallons of Class-A explosives, and that anything within 15 feet would be incinerated. Because there’s no body, there’s no case. (But then why were there bones from the goat? The goat was hanging in the garage near Ernest…hmmm…)
The police continue sifting through evidence found at the lodge, and they discover Alfred’s recordings. Meanwhile, the members of the Agape wait in one of the rooms at the police station, with a police man watching over them.
Betty leads the group in a prayer.
Betty: “Let him greet the sun at dawn, giving the sign of his grade.”
All: “And let him say in a loud voice: Hail unto Thee who art Ra in Thy rising, even unto Thee who art Ra in Thy strength.”
The entire group learns Alfred’s sessions are recorded when some of them are arrested for committing crimes.
Alfred later burns all the photos he took of our beautiful Ernest.
Alfred: “For as much as thou hast made the Law of Freedom thine, thou hast lived in light and liberty and love.”
That pretty much concludes Ernest’s death, within the first seven minutes of the episode. Remember @snqa303 is currently on vacay visiting our beloved @frangipaniflower001, but she’ll gif the few glimpses we have of Ernest from this episode once she returns.
I’m not sure if Ernest will be mentioned going forward, but I’ll be watching!
For those who want more details on the rest of the episode:
- Jack’s security clearance gets revoked.
- Virgil is still a scumbag, who now wears gloves. He helps lead community outrage over a “human sacrifice” at the lodge.
- After Susan confronts Alfred about breaking her trust with the recordings, he turns himself into the police in exchange for releasing members of the Agape. He also basically admits he is just a man, a fraud.
- Susan discovers she is pregnant (via a frog) with Alfred’s child. She visits him in jail to let him know.
- Jack collaborates with the federal government to turn in Aleister Crowley in order to reinstate his security clearance, but then he discovers the man he’s been meeting all this time isn’t Aleister Crowley…or is he? Maybe Jack is just delusional…either that or Crowley is a master magician.
- Jack deduces Susan is pregnant and puts the moves on Patty, cause Patty knows how to stroke his ego. THEY FINALLY FUCK, and we get to see Jack’s cute ass. Hey, it’s small consolation for no more Ernest.