The 2018 Emmy nominations were announced today. By my quick tabulation, here are the Homeland’s nominations:
- Mandy Patinkin for Best Supporting Actor
- F Murray Abraham for Outstanding Guest Actor (LOL)
- Sound Editing (for “All In”)
So, the series and Claire Danes were once again not nominated. I can’t say I’m surprised, as the Emmy folks seem to have moved on from the series (and Claire’s performance by extension). But damn, Claire was really good this year and so was the show (the only other performances in the Lead Actress series I’ve seen are Elisabeth Moss in The Handmaid’s Tale and Sandra Oh and Sandra Oh is FUCKING AMAZING in Killing Eve and I hope she wins that’s all).
Whenever a fave of mine is not nominated–Claire especially–I think about a few things:
- Awards are not and never have been the end-all, be-all of quality. Plenty of amazing stuff is overlooked and even MORE undeserving stuff gets recognized, routinely. It’s spectacularly unwise to invest too much into anything that you have literally zero control over and which, in the grand scheme of the universe, matters so little. In other words, they are all still millionaires and Trump is still fucking president.
- On the topic of Claire specifically, I think it’s quite evident that she doesn’t really care about awards and it’s absolutely not the reason she’s doing any of this (which is exactly what someone who’s not nominated would say but in this case it’s really, really true).
- AT LEAST WE GOT CLAIRE’S POD TOUR OF AMERICA (that’s a new one!)
Full nominations list is here.